cutest blog background

January 8, 2013

A Healthier Path

Part of my journey path for this year is to become healthier by dropping a few pounds and making better choices about the things I put into my body system. It's not just about losing weight, it is about getting my system into chemical balance...ph and hormonal. Bob and I began a very strict diet process two days after Christmas. We got this program through our alternative doctor. It is safe tho many would have you believe it is not. It is the "Assist Diet" program. It is tough but already we have seen significant benefits and changes. There hasn't been just weight loss but balance in other areas. It has helped with liver and kidney function. It is slowly helping with cravings which lead to binging. I won't lie and say we have been perfect at sticking with it but we have not cheated enough to go backwards in weight loss. He has lost 10 or 11 pounds and I have lost 8 or 9. This program trains your body to burn stored fat and not just to burn recent sugars for energy. ...since there are no sugar or carbs to use!

We people of the United States have had such an abundance in our lives over the past 50 years, and things are made so much easier and quicker that we just don't realize the ramifications of these abundances and quicker things. Sure a can of soup or frozen dinner or "shortcuts" make things quicker and easier but the preservatives and abundance of salt and sugars and chemicals in them causes far reaching effects that go a very long way to our unhealthy lives! It is a big part of why the doctor bills begin to pile up all over the country. I believe it is a big part of the cancer epidemic in this land along with so many auto-immune diseases.

Now, I do have a certain mind set that says that death is inevitable unless the rapture happens and there comes a point in time when you just say "I want to enjoy some things" ..I want a piece of cake or pie and ice cream. And I agree, once Bob and I get through the diet program and move onto the maintenance program we will splurge once in awhile but we are hoping that once our bodies are chemically in balance that cravings of those things will be minimal. Coming from a country cook who uses heavily, fats and sugars, it will be a re-training process fer sure! I also enjoy meat and potatoes! We made the decision last night that taters will be limited to only once or twice a week once through the diet and so will breads. I will say that the recipes offered in the program have mostly been very delicious so far. As a matter of fact, I will probably never go back to fried chicken or chicken strips! This baked recipe is so good and tender and has wonderful flavor that I feel no need to stand at a stove and have grease pop and fly everwhere! :P

As a side note, I have already broke myself of drinking colas! I have had 4 colas from October 11 til present!! I have drank only a few caffeine free sodas (rootbeer, cream, orange or Sprite) til the diet began. I had been trying for quite some time and the addiction is so hard but it helped me to understand better those with drug or alcohol addictions! I do still have cravings for those but just fight the temptation...usually by singing Victory in Jesus or another hymn! :)

2 comments:

Tori Leslie said...

Wow, I've never heard of the Assist Diet, interesting. Btw, if you're at MFP, look me up, I need some friends. Oh yea and congrats.

Tammy said...

Tori, What is MFP?