cutest blog background

July 10, 2014

Zucchini Boat Ideas

Some of my facebook friends have been asking for my recipes for my stuffed zucchini boats. I have already posted on here a low-cal recipe but here are two more.

First of all, you can stuff any kind of vegetable with just about anything you like...zucchini, peppers of any sort, tomatoes, egg plant ... don't be afraid to experiment! Just think it up and try it!

Here goes... Select some zucchini and cut in half length wise. Scoop out the pulp or meat of the veggie. I chop it up (as coarse as you like it) and saute it in 1-2 Tablespoons of coconut oil (use oil or butter of choice or cooking spray). Coconut or safflower oil is usually my choice cuz it is extremely good for you despite the fact of some extra calories over margarine. I also saute the scoopings with chopped onion, minced garlic. You can throw in some chopped tomatoes too! When tender scoop into zucchini boat shells and then top with some Parmesan cheese and bake at 350 til shells are tender. I use Mrs. Dash seasonings and any other I feel a fancy to throw in and try for flavoring. These are very tasty and very low calorie and good for even the nutri-system diet. (Especially if you use spray to saute veggies)

Recipe number 2:
This one is not low cal at all but is extremely flavorful and a joy to eat!

Cut zucchini in half. Scoop out pulp and chop up. Get 1/2 to 1 lb Italian sausage or sausage of choice and brown with chopped onion and zucchini pulp til tender. Drain off grease.

In the mean time get a box of stuffing mix of choice (I use chicken flavor from Aldi because it is cheap and I think tastes better than Stove Top!) Make according to pkg directions. When done, mix stuffing, sausage/veggie mixture and some mozzarella cheese. Scoop into empty boat shells and bake at 350 until boats are fork tender.

***Note: do this in a casserole dish or 9X13 pan because there will be juice from the zucchini that builds up. It will not be wise to do on a pizza pan or cookie sheet. You will have a mess in the oven!

No comments: