cutest blog background

August 10, 2016

More on My Health Journey

I'm almost through my candida overgrowth detox that I started through my FDN practitioner. It has been an interesting journey. I think everyone who can should go through some of their labs and supplemental programs to get the body organs functioning correctly. The Gut, especially, is truly the second brain of the body! The labs that are done go in depth to help to figure out hormonal, fungal and parasite problems and if you want can check for food allergies and in tolerances. 

During my labs I found out some things I didn't know, reconfirmed some things I'd learned in previous labs and also learned I wasn't quite as bad off as I had thought I'd be. The adrenal exhaustion diagnosis explained many of my symptoms including no energy, sleep problems, etc. My hormone levels were all nearly zilch and my liver function was low. I also had a higher blood sugar level than I should. This could be due to the candida overgrowth and the low liver function. 

After going gluten free first, many side symptoms subsided. I recommend everyone try gluten free for 30 days and just see how they feel. Yes, it is difficult because you must be aware of what you are eating. But I think it is worth having reduced headaches, joint pain and stomach and abdominal issues. By the way, if you go gluten free and develop symptoms that seem like flu or feeling run down for a few days (DON'T GIVE UP! THAT'S A GOOD SIGN! IT MEANS YOU PROBABLY HAD AN ISSUE AND YOUR BODY IS READJUSTING). Push through and stay the course. It will get better! I promise! What makes gluten free diets so difficult is that it means you MUST be conscious of what you put in your mouth. You learn to label read and to stop eating quickie foods such as processed foods (canned soup, ravioli, frozen pizza, etc) and you must be very careful at restaurants. Gluten is hidden in many many products and foods. Gluten comes from wheat and barley mostly. So, if the label has wheat flour, or all purpose flour or malt it more than likely has gluten. Malt or barley malt is often used as a sweetener and even a binder in processed foods....pre-made rice Krispie treats! Most soy sauces have wheat in them. These are just examples. Most canned soups, gravies at restaurants and any other food that requires a thickener will have gluten because they are thickened with flour. I use tapioca flour, corn starch or potato starch at my house as a thickener in gravy. Tapioca flour is wonderful! 

The Candida detox was actually harder than the gluten free because it required a strict, very strict diet for the first 10 days along with taking many supplements to help aid in the rid of the overgrowth and to also help boost and jump start my organs that were functioning at low capacity. The diet was no sugar, dairy (except lowfat cottage cheese and plain yogurt and butter), gluten, fruit or pork and no starchy vegetables. I lost 8 pounds in that 10 days!!! 

What I gained from this detox was completely regulated bowels, removal of joint pain, blood sugars regulated, less headaches and an overall "I feel better". 

I highly recommend getting in touch with a FDN practitioner and just doing the first steps and labs. Again, this can all be done via phone and emails and ups!!! Not once did I see my practitioner---we were not even in the same state! I would be glad to put you in touch with him. He is very compassionate about with his patients because he wants to help people get better and feel better. He wants to spare them unnecessary surgeries he went through and find a better way besides prescription drugs that may help relieve symptoms or issues but also often destroys body cells and gives new symptoms. Don't get me wrong, the traditional medicine has its place, but I believe there are often even better ways to take care of an issue. 

No comments: