cutest blog background

December 6, 2022

More Than an Addict

 

So many people write off addicts as good for nothing. I confess that I used to be one of those people. God has spoken to my heart over the past several years and changed my mind. 

I have had family and friends have to deal with their children who were addicted to drugs or alcohol. Now I understand that each of those "good for nothing" addicts is someone's child no matter how old. Each one has a parent who is heart broke over watching their child destroy themselves. I've watched those parents cry, pray, try putting them in rehab and also try tough love. I've seen their agony up close and personal. My heart would break as I watched them at their whit's end. I am very thankful to God that He spared us going through that with our kids. 

There was a time when I didn't understand addiction. Trying to give up soda and sugar has taught me well about addiction! Those things are not near as hard on the body as drugs or alcohol but God still used them to change my heart. Now I understand that the addict's actions and sometimes craziness is not them. It's the addiction. They are controlled by it. The drive to have it causes them to act in ways outside their normal character. They will lie (big time!), cheat, steal and use people to get that drug or alcohol. 

Now my addictions to soda and sugary treats didn't and doesn't drive me to the extremes I mentioned above, but when a craving hits I definitely need a "fix" to satisfy the craving. When I do not satisfy the craving, I can have withdrawal symptoms such as headache (most common for me), dizziness, and mood swings (I get crabby!). I definitely get that "feel good" feeling when I get my fix so I can only imagine how hard it must be on a drug addict or alcoholic. By the way, addictions come in many forms and just because yours isn't illegal or as harmful, doesn't mean you don't probably have the same type of withdrawals! Let someone take away your cigarette, coffee, smart phone, gaming device, or hobby and see how well you do! I believe God used my soda and sugar addictions to open my heart so I would have more compassion and understanding for the addict in general.

Addiction happens for different reasons and is often multifaceted. Often it begins with prescription pain killers after an injury or surgery. The reasoning behind why some folks can just use them sensibly and others become addicted is another blog post for another day. With young people (& quite frankly, even adults) it can start as a result of peer pressure. Often times it only takes one time of use with certain items to become completely addicted. This peer pressure is where the multifaceted comes in. Often, addiction happens as a result of trying to fill a void. People are trying to fill an emptiness. They want to feel accepted for who they are or they want to numb the pain of feeling worthless that is perceived in their own minds or has been portrayed to them from others in their lives. Again, this is a topic that needs a deeper dig and isn't the point of this post so I will not do that deeper dive right now. 

Addicts are more than their addiction. They are people loved by family and friends who are devastated by the addict's self-destructive patterns. They are also souls loved by God who sent Jesus to die for their sins so they could have a relationship with Him. Just like the person who is NOT an addict! When I see who God is. I realize what I am. His holiness reminds me that He had to reach just as far down to save me as He does the addict, robber, rapist and murderer. 

I chose the graphic today to remind us to keep a Christian attitude when it comes to dealing with addicts. Keep that attitude when dealing with everyone because we are all flawed and we all have baggage. Some people just have bigger suitcases than others! Yep, they are more than just an addict. They are loved by someone and loved by God. He wants all to come to repentance and be saved! 

No comments: