cutest blog background

February 7, 2023

Book Review - Just Open the Door

 

I promised some people I would give a review of this book by Jen Schmidt when I finished. First of all, I am not being paid for my review. The author doesn't know I am doing this. 

I really enjoyed the read! For years I have struggled with the thought and feeling that there HAD to be more to ministry than what happens in and around the church. After all, ministry at the core is about serving people. While that may include cleaning at the church or working in the nursery, it more appropriately should be about reaching out to others and mentoring them. It's about showing people the love, compassion, mercy and grace of Jesus. 

The premise of the book is to use hospitality as a way to reach out and mentor people. It drives home the point of simplicity and spontaneity. Don't wait for a perfect home or the perfect moment to invite others over. It doesn't have to be a grand affair that causes great stress. It reminds us to step out of the comfort zone and open the door even to someone new to us or different than us. 

It also pushes you to look deep at your motives when you want to have guests over and make it a big and perfect production. Is it pride? Is it wanting praise from others for your production? Or is it to genuinely reach others and show them love, care and compassion? I was convicted several times as I read! 

I confess that I wasn't always a submissive wife when we were in full time ministry. My husband would have liked to have people over every weekend or Sunday. I resisted this idea. Not, that we never had people over but I just had a hard time with doing it on a regular and constant basis. I felt like we gave so much of ourselves all week with the physical prep for church services and the visiting of members and potential members that I wanted our home to be a refuge and a place to shut out the world and allow us to veg out for awhile. (we were in a small church with little help with the day to day) I also felt exhausted and like I just wasn't up for the prep work on my house for company (I admit I am not the greatest housekeeper) or the cooking involved in extra mouths to feed. I love to cook but just felt overwhelmed by the idea of it all. 

This book helped me see it can be simple and that all people really want is an inviting, cozy, fun and comfortable atmosphere where they can engage in conversation and get to know one another better. Most people won't care if there are imperfections in the carpet or furniture or even a bit of dirt around. What they WILL care about is that you cared enough to invite them over and engaged in their life.

Jen Schmidt loads this book with personal stories that inspire your creative juices and practical ideas to help you get started opening the door both at home and even on the go. I have already been inspired and am looking forward to putting into practice the things she talked about and the ideas she has sparked within me. 

I highly recommend this book for inspiration and ideas to take on a new perspective in ministering to others. My husband got the book for me for Christmas. He ordered it on Christianbook.com. I hope you will get your own copy and get inspired! 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is ministry!!

Bob

Ceci B said...

It sounds like any Christians could put this into practice, not just those in full time ministry!
Very inspiring!
I enjoyed your review, thank you Tammy 💗

Anonymous said...

I always loved when you had ladies meetings at your house. A little late but thank you!

Anonymous said...

Not sure which lady this is but those always ended up being very intimate and get to know each other better while we discussed God's Word and was always a blessing. But I will say I always worried some about the condition of my house.

Anonymous said...

You're welcome