cutest blog background

February 3, 2013

Being Like a Good Waitress

In a sermon this morning, Bob preached from the Book of Jude about How to Make a Difference. It made me think of all those who have impacted and influenced my life...those who made a positive difference for me. Next to the verse Jude 22 I long ago wrote in my Bible "One of my life's goals". I want to make a difference to those around me.. a difference of good. Most often that comes through having compassion as the verse says. Anyhoo, it made me think of the illustration of being a good waitress. A good waitress pays attention! Those who get the best T.I.P.S. are the ones who have done a good job catering to the needs of their customers. That only happens by keeping their eyes up and scanning their area for opportunities to serve! If I always have to flag down the waitress, then I do not feel they have earned the best tip. A good waitress doesn't allow themselves to get overwhelmed by a busy restaurant or duty station. They keep up with drink refills, check back often enough to allow the customer to feel attended to without overly interrupting conversation and making sure the needs are met. The needs could be that there is a condiment needed, extra napkins, or cups with lids for toddlers or even disposable bibs or wet wipes and to go bags or just the bill so the customer can leave. This all happens through observing and evaluating the situations and seeing the need. As Christians especially, and even as just compassionate people, we should be paying attention to the needs of others. Sometimes, it is just a kind word or smile that is needed and sometimes it is a listening ear, but it could be that a meal is needed, or a ride to somewhere, or help cleaning a child, home or office. At any rate, the point is to pay attention and get your eyes off self and SEE the needs. Be like a good waitress and God will reward you not with a tip but  a reward in heaven that will not fade away or burn like stubble in the fire at the judgement seat of Christ.  Hope this post motivates someone to become a good waitress in life's walk for the needs of others.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen. This is a good reminder. All of us will choose to focus our attention somewhere. If we will get the focus off of our self and our eyes on others we can make a difference.