cutest blog background

November 23, 2014

Jello-Minded Christain

Just thought I'd post this lesson I did in Jr. Church this a.m. It is a lesson that came to me all at once while Bob was preaching a few years ago on Romans 12:2 -  And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

While he was preaching he explained what conformed was and what transformed was and this idea just came to me about Jello. So, I confess that I allowed myself to be distracted from the lesson for about 2 min and jotted down the idea of jello on some scratch paper so that I could later develop a children's church lesson. I then refocused to pay attention but hey, when the Holy Spirit prods and gives ideas you better take a second or two and jot them down before you forget by the time the sermon is over! :)

The lesson:
I make Jello ahead of time and put it in a certain shape bowl. (shape of choice)

I read Rom. 12:2 and explain that conformed means shaped by outside influences and how this verse says we are not to let the world shape who we are. 
I tell the kids that Jello takes on whatever shape the container is. = "conformed" 

-I talk about Jello Jigglers (they never heard of! - too young) and then about playdough and the molds you use to play with it. How it takes on the shape of the mold. 

--I then tell them that God wants us to let the Bible, our church and godly people to shape who we are 

Then I explain that transformed means shaped by inside influences. Jello has gelatin in it that turns it from a liquid to a semi-solid. It is made into something different than what it started as by the gelatin INSIDE it. This is a great picture of transformed!
- we spend time talking about other things that start out as liquid and change to solids because of what is in them - ex. pudding, cake batter, etc. (let the kids give examples)

Then I proceed to talk about how the only way we can be changed from the inside out is by having Jesus transform us by getting saved. He lives inside us and guides us when we accept Him as Savior. I then go into a child's version of salvation - simple. Use 2 Cor. 5:17.

Then we all eat Jello! 

--you can also add into the lesson how once you are transformed by Jesus that you can then have ability to prove what is good and acceptable and the perfect will of God.



2 comments:

Tammy said...

Love it! What a great object lesson! Thanks for sharing. :)

Tori Leslie said...

What a great idea for an object lesson. Kids understand simple and how much simpler can you get than jello? Great idea and lesson!!!