cutest blog background

November 14, 2014

My Bible

I was looking at my Bible yesterday during my devotion time. Bob preached on Wednesday night about the value we place on our Bibles and how we take it for granted. My Bible is so personally mine. I know it. I know it well enough that in my mind I can see where certain passages are...which side of the book it is on, where on the page and if it is highlighted or underlined. I have notes from personal studies and notes of different preachers...some points of sermons but always preacher's name, date, and title of sermon or verses used. It is MY BIBLE. I'm thankful for it and that I have it and don't have to hide it. I got it Feb 18, 1998. I try to often thank God for it when I have just read it.

It is not my first Bible. That one had my name on it in silver letters as a kid and I received it for memorizing scripture at a small VBS I attended. I was so excited about getting it. I was about 10 and didn't know enough to value it back then. I do still have it put away in  memory box somewhere.

My Bible has been used to lead others to the Lord, to debate correct doctrine with others, to admonish and teach other ladies and kids and many teens. It has been my source of strength, peace, and knowledge and wisdom. It is timeless and always relevant when I read, search and study with an open heart and mind seeking truth from God. I cannot imagine living daily without it as a part of my life. If for some reason I do go a day without getting into it, I feel so out of sorts. My day just doesn't go as it should.

Is your Bible personally yours? Is it precious to you? How much do you value it? How well do you know it?

1 comment:

Tori Leslie said...

Great post Tammy. What a treasure we have in the Bible, it's awfully easy to take it for granted though. I love that you have such a long history with the Bible. I wasn't saved till 1991 so that's as far as my Bible history goes but I love it. I love it even more now that I've seen precious Croatia souls saved and changed through it.
Thank you for a lovely post!