cutest blog background

September 3, 2016

Life Lessons

It's funny how in life we sometimes must learn lessons over and over or in a difficult way. Life is constantly teaching us whether we like it or not. Have you noticed that some lessons are very hard learned lessons?! There are times when I must re-learn the same lesson months or years later because I let myself forget what I had learned the first time. 

Bob and I recently learned a very hard lesson. Sometimes we don't wait long enough on the Lord, or rush into a decision because we feel pressure from other sources, or sometimes even when we have peace about a situation or decision it turns out to be a bad decision. (maybe some would say it was just something we were meant to go through and learn from rather than a bad decision) Either way, it was difficult and a growing, learning experience. 

I learned very young how short life is, yet I often find myself taking things, situations and people for granted. I don't like that but it is true. One thing I learned five years ago is that small, petty stuff is not worth getting upset about for very long. Cancer taught me that through my mom. Life is too short to live it unhappy and in anger and bitterness yet this spring and summer I struggled with those emotions....A Lot! I most definitely struggled with selfishness that in turn put extreme pressures on my husband (who is my favorite person). I feel awful about that now. It took me several months and until recently to figure out just what my inward problem was so that I could begin working on changing it. I will not share any details because it is private and not for lots of people to know. However, I will share that when you find yourself angry all the time and unable to sleep and getting upset over small things that shouldn't matter, you need to self evaluate and find what's at the source. For me there were several factors weighing in that contributed but ultimately, I was being selfish. I blamed people for things that weren't their fault instead of allowing myself to feel the anger at the one whom I was actually mad at. I also have been given by God an intuition and discernment about people that lets me know when things are not right with them...like when they tend to not be completely truthful or when they are not quite what they pretend. I just tend to know. 

I will be 50 at the end of October and I like to think I've learned a thing or two over the half century. Life is short! Much too short to live it in a job you hate (no matter your financial circumstances...find a different one asap!). Life is too short to hold petty grudges with friends and family. Life is too short to live in past regrets. Make amends and move forward! Life is too short to live in the "if only" or "I wish". If the wish is feasible, then take steps to make it happen. Remember, if you are a saved child of God, you can do all things through Christ who strengthens you. Just figure out how to do what you are wanting and do it! 

Just some things to ponder. Pay attention to the things you are learning in life and do your best not to have to learn them a second time. 

No comments: