cutest blog background

March 10, 2018

What's in a Holiday?

Been contemplating some things about holidays and "honoring" days and did you know that nearly every day of the year is a "National...something...Day"?! It may be national ice cream day or french fry day or bacon day or international women's day ... really? I get some of the holidays...Christmas, Easter, 4th of July or Independence Day, Memorial Day, Veteran's Day, possibly even Labor Day but there are some that I don't get. Even most of the ones I already mentioned are mostly used by the world as an excuse to get drunk. Sometimes I think the government recognized holidays are just an excuse to take a day off work. I'm all for that! When I was a kid we got Washington's and Lincoln's birthdays off but when my kids were in school they combined them into President's Day and now Martin Luther King Day is added in.

The one I have been thinking about is coming in May. You guessed...Mother's Day. Ha, I bet you thought it was going to be Memorial Day. It is a day the government appointed to set aside to honor mothers everywhere. In fact, men are encouraged to honor their mothers and their wife who is the mother of their children. So, that's kind of a double whammy. The same goes when Father's Day comes around in June for the women. I get it. Just like Valentine's Day is supposed to be a special day for couples that gets recognized even though it's really just a money maker for stores and the couples should be treating each other right, special and with respect on a daily basis but on February 14th we are to step it up a notch and spend money so the stores can make a profit. Can you hear my sarcasm?! 

The Bible tells us in the Ten Commandments to honor our father and our mother....this means daily. This means all the time! And, as we taught my kids and as Bob and I taught to teens as youth pastor, it means honor goes beyond obedience. Obedience is when you still live at home under parent's roof. Honor is a life time commitment. Honor is what happens as a result of your character that reflects positively back to the parents! It's also what happens when the parent is not present with the child. Most kids can act correctly when authority is around (MOST!) but when a child does right when they think no one is watching...that's the true test. 

I was reminded this past week about the real way my kids honor me. I was reminded when my son called to talk. It is not always by them remembering to send a card or call on Mother's Day, because truthfully, sometimes life gets busy and they forget to send a card or call. Sundays are very busy (which is the day the government chose to pick for honoring parents...you know the day most have off anyway...including them!..except those in ministry or heavily committed to helping around the church). Some Sundays even a phone call would be rushed. I'm actually ok with that even though I know when those times have happened my kids feel awful about it. 

Here's what I know for sure...they honor me often. They are praised to me by others. This reflects what Bob and I taught them. They call me for advice on a regular basis. They call me when they need to vent out frustrations so they do not explode from holding it in. They know they can trust me to listen, to steer them when they are off in their thinking (and yes I do tell them) or to remind them to look at it from a different perspective. They know I am a safe zone. This honors me. I know for a fact that not all parent/child relationships are this way. I've been in ministry life in three different states and observed too much not to realize this fact. I am very thankful for the relationship I have with my daughter and son. I can talk with both of them privately about nearly anything. This fact alone brings me honor. I'll take it! It's worth much more than a card made of paper. The knowing in your heart that your child values you and your opinion is priceless. Hey maybe I should make a commercial! lol

So, for me, Mother's Day is any day that my child chooses me. When I am their go-to person. I hope and pray I never let them down. I'm sure I have in the past but hope I never do in the future. 

No comments: