cutest blog background

April 30, 2020

The Life of a Cheerleader

I must confess that I was never a cheerleader when I was in school. However, I have spent my life being a cheerleader for other people. That's what this post is about. I think cheer leading automatically comes with the territory of being a mom. We actually begin cheering our kids on when they are infants. It starts when trying to get them to speak or roll over or crawl or walk. Heck, I even cheered when they burped! We cheer for them over school work, athletics, fashions, and all the important milestones. 

I believe cheer leading goes hand in hand with wifely duties, too. Women in general seem to be better at cheering our husbands than men are for their wives. At least on a regular basis. It's our job to encourage them when they're down or feeling inadequate. I admit that there are times when it may be more difficult because we may be feeling annoyed or even upset with them over whatever they might be feeling inadequate about or that we wished they'd have handled something differently. At those times we must learn to bite out tongues and wait for a more appropriate time to approach that subject and just be an encourager in the moment. 

Because I am a pastor's wife, the job of cheerleader is extended far beyond my family. There is a whole flock (congregation) to encourage and cheer on. I am far from perfect at the cheerleader job but I do make an effort most of the time. 

Constantly being a cheerleader can be draining emotionally. That's why it is important to be able to get recharged ourselves. This comes through mediation on God's Word and seeing our value through His eyes, keeping positive thoughts about ourselves and not letting negative get a stronghold. It also comes through taking time to do something we enjoy on a regular basis. Something that makes us feel good and joyful. When we have a bad day it can be easy to drop into pity party mode and wonder where our cheerleader is. Guilty! I've been there. We all need encouragement and to feel like we're important or doing a good job or that we are enough. Hearing it said by others helps even when we work hard at staying positive in attitude. Luckily, I don't stay at the pity party long. I've learned how to move past it.  
Are you a cheerleader? Most of us have cheered and encouraged people throughout our lives at some time or another; but how about lately? Are you too focused on yourself and what's happening in your own life to give a cheer to someone who needs it? Do you give a smile, a nod of acknowledgement or word of encouragement to brighten someone's day? Try being a cheerleader and it will lift your spirits, too. 

No comments: