cutest blog background

October 27, 2021

The Importance of Touch

 

I think so many take for granted how important touch is to people. Covid has certainly destroyed touch with all the rules and now habit of social distancing. Masks keep people from seeing expressions. You can no longer share smiles. I'm over the whole mask thing and only wear one where I am absolutely required to do so, such as a doctor's office or hospital. Lack of touch is the worst part of dealing with covid on a daily national level. I was recently hospitalized with covid and I can say from experience that I longed for hugs and touches from my husband and the rest of my family. I even cried some days and expressed to the nurses how much I just wanted to see and hold my husband's hand. Once my husband insisted on them moving me to a room with a window where he and my kids and grandkids could see me and we could talk on the phone, it helped my spirits so much. It still wasn't touch but it made me fight to get better. The nursing homes did a disservice to the elderly when they refused to let their families into see them and touch them. The employees could come and go yet family couldn't. By the way, it was medical staff that brought covid to the nursing home patients! --Every single time! If they were or are worried about covid spreading, they would pay nurses and staff hazard pay and lock them in the facility until danger has passed. Because of not being allowed to see their families, many of the elderly fell into deep depressions and quite frankly, gave up. This harmed their physical well being as well. 

Touch helps both the physical and mental state of anyone or even any animal. A calming and soothing voice also helps. It is seen in the NICU when nurses are caring for newborn babies. It is seen at the vet as they talk to the animals and pet them gently or hold them. These days doctors have discovered that touch is so important that when a new mom first delivers, they immediately place the newborn on the mom's chest for skin to skin contact. Yet, hospitals and nursing homes are keeping people from this very important asset!

IT STINKS! And I might even go so far as to say it's wrong. My husband, who had just gotten over covid himself, (so wasn't in danger) wasn't allowed in my room to help me make decisions about my health choices yet the hospital chaplain got to be in there. Bob was furious. He hadn't set eyes on me since leaving me at the ER 3 days earlier and was only being allowed to see me on a zoom call. I looked bad and could barely speak. There is just something wrong with that scenario!! 

My point is that touch is IMPORTANT! Hug and touch your loved ones daily! Never miss an opportunity because it's more therapeutic than most people realize. Scientists have proven that petting an animal brings joy and happiness to those who partake. How much more important is touch between people?! 


No comments: