cutest blog background

January 18, 2015

The Hand that Rocks the Cradle

Probably everyone has heard the phrase "the hand that rocks the cradle rules the world". It is a term that refers to the fact that mothers have power to frame the future of societies because they have so much influence on the next generation. I believe this is very true. I also believe that teachers (good ones) have an influence on the next generation. Both school teachers and church teachers. 

That in mind, if you are a mom, or a teacher at school or church, you should realize and trust in your heart completely that what you do is important! It is an enormous responsibility. Too often we ladies get down on ourselves, especially stay at home moms, thinking that we don't contribute to the household or that what we do simply doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. However, we couldn't be more wrong. Influencing, molding, teaching and training children to reach their full potential in life is probably the most important job on the planet. After all, children left to themselves with no guidance or discipline brings a mother to shame and leaves a trail of chaos and destruction.

I watched the movie Mom's Night Out earlier this week. I really like the movie because I can relate to so many aspects of it...including the underlying things about the pastor's wife. I don't like or agree with every aspect of the movie but it has hilarious parts, has great underlying messages (yes more than the one of a mom's job is important and she will never be perfect). I watch it and see so many life lessons and thoughts that could be brought out. It obviously has inspired this particular post. I also am totally hooked on the When Calls the Heart movie and TV series. (Bob got me the first season with a bonus disk of the original movie for Christmas! Yay!) Yes, I watch it several times a week when given the opportunity! I love how clean that show is and how it shows determination of women in life struggles, sisterhood between women, and the importance of a good teacher---the sweet romances that are there are just a bonus! Wholesome romances before ya judge!

In the original When Calls the Heart movie, I cry at the end every time. I love the part when the ladies tell Elizabeth that she won't just be teaching their kids to read and write. She will be guiding their futures! Then they ask her if she is woman enough because it will be a tough job. They hire her wanting her to make sure that their kids have choices in life even if it means leaving Coal Valley someday. The first time I watched it, my daughter, Jenny was really struggling about what she believed other's opinions were of her efforts to teach K4 in their Christian school. Some had expressed to her that it's only preschool. I had tried to encourage her that other's opinions didn't matter and that in her heart she needed to believe that what she did WAS important. I love what her wonderful husband told her, "Honey, if it wasn't for you, the kindergarten teacher would have a much tougher job!" (He scored big in my mind!) Then I watched the movie and cried and reminded her how important her laying the fundamental foundation for the future teachers was. She was laying the foundation for the kids' future! BTW, Jen does an awesome job with those kiddos. They come out of her class reading, writing their names and doing several things in math.

Point? The hand that rocks the cradle DOES rule the world...for good or bad. Ladies, let's make sure we rock it in the right directions!

1 comment:

Tori Leslie said...

Great post and great points to remember for all teachers, even us home-schoolers.
I'm gonna look into those movies.
Hope you have a wonderful week!