cutest blog background

December 19, 2015

Lives Touch Lives

I was reading today in one of my devotion books and the verse Romans 14:7 - For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself. Something struck me about this verse today. Most of the time this verse is used in sermons or lessons to remind us that our sin effects others around us. Often the story about Akin is used to show how his sin effected the Israel camp first and then his family and livestock. Israel lost a battle, then Akin and his family and livestock were killed because of his sin. This is a very good way to teach on the verse but another way hit me this morning.

I want to look at this verse from the point that all lives touch other lives. First and foremost, in the way of reproduction. Without two people uniting to create a baby, the world population would end. 

Yes, our sin will have repercussions on others even when we think they won't. However, I'd like to remember that our good works and deeds also effect others. Try smiling and see how often you receive a smile back. Being cheerful often gets the response of someone else becoming cheerful. It rubs off!

The real area I want to focus on is the second half of the verse. ....No man dieth to himself....

A person's death effects those loved ones in their lives as well as many others they have had contact with. Until someone is gone, many do not realize the hole or void they may leave behind. There would never be another suicide in the world if the person who feels worthless and as though they don't matter would remember that their life touches others even when they don't realize it. You are ALWAYS influencing others (maybe even from a distance) for good or for bad even when you are unaware! The movie "It's a Wonderful Life" is the best displaying of this thought. Because you make a certain choice, it may have a direct effect on someone else's life. If you had never been born, then your child or grandchild would never be born and maybe someone else would not be who they are. 

I will never this side of heaven understand why my dad died when I was 12, and if he hadn't, my life would have been very different and I often wonder about it. However, because he did, I have a baby sister and a little niece that I love. Now, I do not think God killed my dad so that Cassy and Amelia could be born but the fact is, they would not be a part of my life if my dad would have lived. Births and deaths effect all those lives connected to those people! So, no one lives to themselves and no one dies to themselves. Each life effects many many others...sometimes to just mere acquaintances. Until eternity, we will never know the full extent of how we may have touched another's life even in the simplest way. It's too bad that we can't all have the opportunity that the guy on It's a Wonderful Life had to know now just how much we matter. Perhaps we should just accept the fact that God has a purpose for every single life and that each life is important.

No comments: