cutest blog background

October 31, 2017

Raising Grateful Children

I think gratefulness is a trait that is almost gone in everyday society today, even among adults. The parents of the 80s and 90s which was the "Me generation", "I can have my cake and eat it too generation"; created the whiny, unsatisfied, give me more for free generation of today. We won't go into all that entails or of the hows and whys because it's not the point of this post. I want to focus on how to create grateful hearts in the newest children coming up such as my grandchildren.

I remember back when my own children were school age and we first got into church and started serving heavily in that aspect. We were constantly on the go and spending much time working with teens and I admit I had some guilt over possibly neglecting my own children. Sometimes I felt that I could curb that guilt and appease my children by allowing them to get things at the store ...candy or a small toy. Well, since we humans are creatures of habit it didn't take them long to get "spoiled" to this and become increasingly vocal and expecting of it. Well, at one time we were spending so much time in the car on the go and had developed a habit of getting snacks and food at the gas station to "tide us over" until we could have a meal later. I remember the wake up call was one day when my son was in maybe 2nd grade and we were at home. He asked if we could go to the gas station because he was hungry! Now mind you, there were snacks and food in the pantry and refrigerator! Yet, the habit had been formed over the past few weeks and in his mind the only way to satisfy hunger was to go to the gas station! Ding, ding, ding, the warning bells went off immediately! 

So, what are some ways we can develop gratefulness in our children? How about let them first and foremost see it in us?! Don't let them see you being whiny about wanting something different or more than you already have. Children absolutely learn what they live! Just be thankful (which goes hand in hand with grateful) for every monetary thing you have in your life! Be thankful to others who may have given it and mostly be thankful to God because the Bible says that every good gift and every perfect gift comes down from the Father of Lights! 

Another way is to let them see others less fortunate than them. When my kids were younger we started a yearly thing of taking wrapped presents to Children's Hospital at Christmas time. I let them help me pick them out and wrap them and they went with me to drop them off at the hospital. I would explain to them how blessed they were to be healthy and at home for Christmas. 

Let them serve in a soup kitchen with you or drive them to see a poorer neighborhood so that they can see first hand how others live and how not to take for granted the warm, nice home they live in. 

Sheltering children from all negative aspects of society does them harm. When they enter adulthood (which is what you are preparing them for...to lead productive, successful lives after they are grown and have left your house) they need to know and appreciate where they came from and what they had and that not everyone was as blessed as they were. Some children have illnesses that they fight daily, some children live in hunger on a daily basis, some children have few clothes or even clean clothes and some don't have a warm home to sleep in at night. It is not enough just to lecture them about it. Seeing it first hand will drive the message home much faster. 

Example and yes, sometimes contrast is the best way to let someone learn. As the old saying goes, do not point out the crookedness of a stick, simply lay a straight stick beside it! Also, remember children learn what they see lived daily in you! 

No comments: