cutest blog background

February 6, 2018

The Art of Aging

Awhile back I posted about what aging means. I want to talk some more about that topic. I want to give some perspective from a 50+ person's eye view. When I got out of the shower this morning, I stood looking in the mirror and wondered who I was looking at. Where has all the time gone? No longer was I 20 or 25 or even 30. That is quite obvious. Gravity has set in and time has marched across me from head to toe. Body parts are sagging, cellulite has grouped up, wrinkles and lines have appeared, and scars from former injuries or surgeries are also apparent along with gray hair. I stand there and look in surprise as I wonder what in the world happened. Then I give myself a knowing look and remind myself that I know exactly what happened! Life happened! Two pregnancies, one C-section, a tonsillectomy, an appendectomy and oh yeah, being hit by a train happened! Gravity happened!

I also have to remember that even though my body has slowly deteriorated, I have also gained wisdom and knowledge. It's hard not to wonder why God doesn't let you have the wisdom with the firm and young body. Then again, maybe it's because you need the firm and young body to live through all the stupid things you do when you are young! You need the energy and young body to live through your mistakes!

Even though my body has aged along with my mind and memory, I get to enjoy my grandkids and pass on to them the knowledge I've gained since raising their parents. I get to have more patience with them than I did with my own kids. Patience is mostly a learned trait. It comes through learning in life that some things are not as big a deal as you once thought. That comes with age. Don't get me wrong there are people out there who are more naturally patient than others but most of the time patience comes through experience and maturity and acceptance. 

So, as I look in the mirror and get saddened by what I see physically, I am also happy to have my current knowledge and wisdom. 

I suppose that the real art of aging is accepting yourself where you are with all your aging flaws. You can set goals for yourself to try to firm up, trim down, color your hair, and anything else you want to try as long as you keep yourself from becoming too down and depressed as you work towards the goals.

Hope this gives some encouragement to those reading who are aging as I am. 








No comments: