cutest blog background

February 20, 2018

What Makes a Good Family Life?

I've been thinking back to my childhood and realizing how good it was even though things weren't perfect. I grew up surrounded by love and lots of fun and laughter. Been pondering what may be missing in today's family atmosphere. I think it is the family table that is missing. Families today are spending less and less time around the dinner table together. If they do eat together, they are not talking and sharing. They are looking at their cell phone or tablet. I grew up at the family table. I grew up knowing I was loved and my family, immediate and extended, knew humor. There was much laughter even though many tragic things happened there was still so much laughter. 

Along with the above mentioned things, God is also missing. Families are not putting God in the center of the family unit. They no longer go to church together (this was missing in my childhood) and even if they attend church, they don't pray together or even discuss Scripture. This part is something that Bob and I have worked hard at amending in our family life with our kids. Prayer and Bible discussions are still present in our family when our kids visit. 

So, what are the things needed for a good family life? Let's just say that families who pray, play and stay (stay at the table) together have joyful lives. These are the most important aspects of a good family.  

1 comment:

Diwakar said...

Hello Tammy. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India. I am glad to visit your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am also blessed and feel privileged and honored to get connected with you as well as know you and about you being Pastoral wife. I am blessed and encouraged to get through your blog post "What makes a good family life?". Your last para of the post summarizing what are the things need for a good family life?. You have beautifully summed it up "Let's just say that families who pray, play and stay (at the table)together have joyful lives". I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged, strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 39 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have young people from your church or your grown up children come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. I am sure they will have a life changing experience. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. Looking forward to hear fr om you very soon. God's richest blessings on you, your family and friends also wishing you a blessed and a Christ centered rest of the year 2018.